Convert SketchUp 3D Warehouse Component to Revit

2022-08-01 - 08-39-15

Sample Files

Porsche_Macan_SU2023_01_simple.skp
Porsche_Macan_R2022_01_final.rvt

1. Download the SketchUp model from the 3D Warehouse

• Search SketchUp’s 3D Warehouse for the “Porsche Macan” model (or use link below)
  • 3D Warehouse
  • NOTE: this model has 89,344 vertices

2. Map Component in Helix

• Open the the Helix UI by clicking the Helix Icon in SketchUp
  • Select the component
  • In the SELECTED ELEMENTS section change the selected Component “Macan 2015” to DXF in the dropdown

2022-08-03 - 16-35-25

3. Sync with Revit

• Click the Sync SketchUp button in the Helix UI
  • With Revit open, click the Load Model button in the EvolveLAB Revit Ribbon Tab

2022-08-03 - 16-40-45

4 . Render in Enscape (Optional) :smiley:

NOTE: When converting transparent SketchUp materials to Revit, we increase the glossiness automatically with the assumption that the majority of transparent materials will have reflections. (You can change the material appearance asset attributes to further refine)

Ideas & Feedback

Let us know how we can improve this workflow.
There are some ideas that would be cool to hear opinions on how important they are to this workflow:

• creating a new Revit material editor for these components
  • other ideas that could be useful to this workflow
2 Likes

Steve Bennett from Taylor-Design had some great criticisms for this workflow posted on LinkedIn, copied below:

Pretty nice to have in a render? yes.
Great idea to have in a project? no.
Easy to get into project? yes.

This sort of workflow has me equal parts terrified and curious at the same time. I would be ok if these types of render assets were loaded into an ArcViz model that links in the main model, but when will designers take the time to do this right when a manager is standing over their shoulder waiting for a render?

This particular Porsche model results in a 5MB revit family. Now imagine a parking lot full of these cars. If you wanted 100 cars for reference, you are potentially looking at a 500MB Revit file (you know those designers want every car to be unique).

…and don’t get me started on the family name that was auto-generated…

Well put!

As a former BIM manager I have the same concerns! As a developer on Helix, I see opportunities to address these issues:

Revit ArcViz Model Link

If users would want to load high poly contextual models in Revit, they should be in a linked file to keep the project file nimble. With the current Helix offering, it’s easiest for designer to just load these models in the main Revit project.

:bulb: We could add a feature that automatically places these models in a linked Revit model instead of the main model! This way designers don’t need to switch models for sending the mesh objects over.

5MB Family Size Bloat

This is an existing problem with bad families that can be found online from random sources. These large families can be composed of strictly native geometry. The issue is with the discernment on what geometry was modeled that should not have been modeled. The same issue applies to the Helix mesh. We are showcasing the Porsche model, to demonstrate the capability of handling complexity. However, if this car would be instanced on a site multiple times, a lighter model would suffice: one that does not have the interior car geometry perhaps. Selecting the appropriate model needs to be intentional.

:bulb: We have an idea in our backlog that would report when a model being converted has a high poly count. This is directly correlated to the family size. Perhaps this setting is exposed, and users could receive a warning when a family is above 2MB.

:bulb: Another idea we have to address this issue, is to run a poly reduction post process on the mesh to simplify this geometry. It can be tailored to keep families below a certain poly count or family size.

Revit Performance Bloat

Here are some tests with arraying this model to 250 instances with the Helix mesh versus the Revit built-in SketchUp importer.

Helix Mesh

2022-11-11 - 13-26-37

Without Helix

2022-11-11 - 13-39-14

When importing and instancing the same model 250 times without Helix, Revit locks up when panning/zooming around. The evident takeaway is that the visible polygon mesh lines are the main culprits to slowing down Revit’s model navigation performance. Helix hides these mesh edges, hence the great performance.

SketchUp Performance

We also ran a test with this model arrayed 250 times in SketchUp to compare it with the Revit performance. The Helix Revit equivalent is more performant in terms of displaying a higher poly count. The navigation smoothness is the same, with SketchUp having a more aggressive low LOD bound box display of the geometry.

This goes to show that 22,2336,000 polygons can be challenging for SketchUp. The main takeaway is that: if the model performs slowly in SketchUp it will perform better in Revit when using Helix DXF meshes.

2022-11-11 - 20-41-20

I should note that the SketchUp profiles are turned off (show element outline) where in Revit they are always displayed (no option to remove them). When profiles are ON in SketchUp, the performance for this model array slows to a crawl.

Profiles ON/OFF
2022-11-11 - 21-00-21

The gif below has SketchUp profiles enabled, and I had to reduce the instance count to 50 from 250 so that I can navigate the model. At 250 instances, the model locks for a few minutes when trying to navigate.
2022-11-11 - 21-08-48

Revit Family Name

Yes - not proud of that one. Plenty of room to improve there!

Use Cases

Helix expands the set of tools available at your disposal. With more tools, you can do more, but it also introduces more ways to make mistakes. Placing high poly geometry and arraying it hundreds of times across your project is not recommended. If objects need to be instanced many times, lower poly count components are more appropriate for converting to Revit families. If the objects are not instanced many times, you can have a lot more detail.

Below are some example use cases with this mesh based workflow:

It works great for a whole mesh, but is there a way to make it work for group of meshes like vases/accessories, when i tried it revit keeps loading, i need to find the mistake.

Helix works with groups and different nesting configurations. However, the level of the mapped object becomes a family in Revit. For example, if you have a component of that table and chairs. The nested components could be one table and four chair components. If you map the “table and chairs” component, that becomes a single family in Revit. If you map the table and the chair component in SketchUp, then you would have four instances of the chair family and one instance of the table family placed in Revit.

Let me know if this makes sense. Perhaps, if I misunderstood your question, could you provide some images to further explain?

For example

This is a high mesh plant collection in sketch up i am trying to send to revit, but i grouped the plants together as they are not a single mesh, when i load in revit it keeps loading for long time eventhough i have powerful pc, i understand the complexity of the transfer process as it would take time to do it manually and Helix does amazing job on this but for single meshes, when i do group it usually stuck on this phase

I see. Are you able to group the pot with the plant above and have 5 groups transferred? This would generate 5 families for the 5 groups.

There is a limitation on polycount per mesh family, that we are planning on exposing as a warning. We are also looking at optimizing the code so that we can support higher poly count objects.

Totally agree, the mesh poly count was like 1mil + i don’t know what i was thinking there :sweat_smile:

My feedback on Helix for using it for couple days, amazing software and is very useful for interior designers, more people should start adding it to their workflow.

Maybe for future of it, UVW mapping can be fixed, it will be a good add.

1 Like

Thank you for the compliment!

Definitely agreed with the UV mapping. This is actually the current feature that we’re working on at the moment.