Helix DWG to Revit Not doing anything

@Daniel
I sent you a follow up email regarding this. I’m still stalling out on step 1/7 (refer to email I sent with link to file I am testing).
Appreciate all the help!

@kdaugherty I’m having some trouble getting the file you send to me, so I’ll send you a DM with some other ways to share the file.

I also wanted to check to make sure you are using the latest version of Helix (2.12.1) that included the bug fix for this. I ask because sometimes right after we release a new version, there is some lag time while the older version is still cached in the cloud, and can still be downloaded instead of the newer version. this usually resolves itself within 24 hours.

An easy way to check is to open up the ‘Programs and Features’ window of the Window’s Control Panel, and check the Helix that is installed. Please make sure it says 2.12.1 and not 2.12.0 or any other earlier version.

Thanks,

Sorry for the delay, I was out of office yesterday. I just uploaded some files that are not working for me…I did check the version and it is indeed 2.12.1.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming the version and sending over the files, I got em. I’ll do some testing and report back once I figure out the issue!

1 Like

@kdaugherty Just wanted to let you know that we’ve found the issue, and created a patch that will be included in the next release! I’ll post here when we get that release published!

There seemed to be an issue with one or more of the polylines in the CAD file, where when converted some polylines ended up providing us with zero useable lines. Anyway, was able to get the lines on the A-Wall layer in the sample CAD file you sent me to convert to Revit walls:

Thanks.

1 Like

@kdaugherty The latest version, 2.12.2, includes the fix for this bug. You can download it here, or see more details in the release forum post here.

1 Like

@Daniel

I don’t know if I am doing something wrong, but I still can’t get this to work on that file. Does it matter that I am using a trial version? Are there certain requirements within Revit? I am currently using 2023 version of Revit. I’ve tried multiple things on my end with no luck.

@kdaugherty

Thanks for testing out the new version again, and sharing your feedback! My apologies that it didn’t solve your issue.

As it turns out, I made a mistake and did not fully include the fix for your issue in the latest release, so thanks for catching that!

I’ve released a new update with the fix (v2.12.3), which you can download here.

1 Like

Hello. My free trial of Helix does not create walls. I tried it on architectural drawings and simple test drawings I’ve created. Message “run succesfully” is displayed though. Any ideas what is going on?
“Structural colums” category works fine.
Thank You

@Wudwudek - welcome to the forum!

My apologies that Helix is not working with your test files. Is there a way you can share a sample file with content that doesn’t work. This would help us tremendously to debug the issue.

Hi. Also tested an sample file exported from Autocad and did not create any pipes at all.
Attached is the the file i created?
ACAD-Drawing2.dwg (2.0 MB)

If you could please help would appreciate.
Regards.

@RuiMadureira

Sure thing, thanks for sharing the file. I’ll take a look and see if I can figure out what’s going on.

Thanks,

1 Like

Thank you @Daniel !
Any news?

@RuiMadureira

Thanks for checking in, I’m still looking into this one. We’ll post an update here, and issue a new release, as soon as we get it resolved!

Thanks,

@Daniel
Hi Daniel.
Tested today with an single pipe and Revit gets this warning (picture attached).
Any guesses?
Regards.

@RuiMadureira - In regards to your original issue, we’ve identified the problem.

In the sample AutoCAD file you sent us, one of the lines on the pipe centerline layer was too small to be converted to a Revit pipe.

Revit min length: 0.31250 feet
CAD line length: 0.00003 feet

We fixed the issue by adding some code that will just ‘skip’ any lines that are too small.

We’ll work on building an updated Helix installer, and I’ll make a post in this thread once it’s ready for download. In the meantime, you might be able to get that AutoCAD file to work with the current Helix version by first removing any tiny lines in AutoCAD, and then trying the Helix tool again in Revit. The AutoCAD command ‘OVERKILL’ could come in handy for this task.

Here are two gifs, the first is a 2+ minute gif of me using the updated Helix code on the “M-Pipe-Std-Clin” layer of the sample .dwg file you shared with us. The second is of the CAD files and pipes in Revit after the process is finished. All in all, Helix converted about 2,700 lines into 786 Revit pipes in just over 2 minutes.

Helix - DWG to Revit Pipes - Tiny Line Bug Fix - Conversion

Helix - DWG to Revit Pipes - Tiny Line Bug Fix - After

Thanks,

2 Likes

Blockquote
Hi Daniel.
Tested today with an single pipe and Revit gets this warning (picture attached).
Any guesses?
Regards.

@RuiMadureira - As for this issue, I’m not 100% sure as I’m not an experienced MEP Revit user, but I think the Revit error is because for whatever type of pipe you are mapping to that layer (you’ll see the type when you click on the ‘Family Type’ box in the Helix window in your screenshot), that type may not have a set ‘Pipe Segment’ inside that type’s routing preferences. It looks like you may be doing this test inside a new empty model, which if not from the correct template may not have the Routing Preferences set yet. See the below screenshot to see how to access the Routing Preferences window after having a pipe from your model selected.

Can you check that the pipe type you are trying to use has an assigned Pipe Segment?

Thanks,

1 Like

Hi @Daniel !
Thank you very much for your support and help!
Infornutaly i am missing something in my process, guided by your explanation.
Could you please help me with more details?
I specified the thickness of lines in Autocad, don’t now how to use “OVERKILL” command and even so the result was like the image i attach without any pipes creation

Sorry for the inconvenience again.

@RuiMadureira

My AutoCAD knowledge is a little rusty so forgive me, but I think a better way than OVERKILL to remove short lines may be to use QSEL (Quick Select). I have it a try, and it worked for me with the below settings. Note that my units are set to Decimal Feet, you may have to use a different Value if your .dwg file’s units are set to something else:

As for my process to convert the .dwg file into Revit Pipes, I created a new Revit project in Revit 2023 using the provided ‘New Imperial Systems’ template. I used the below settings, clicked ‘Create Elements’, and then waited a few minutes. To make the .gif, I also opened a ed view and hid the CAD link in that view so I could watch the progress as the pipes were created. In total, it took about 3 minutes, and I had to wait for Helix to finish (you get a little popup) so that I knew it was done.

Again, we expect to have the new release soon so then you’ll be able to skip the QSEL step in AutoCAD.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

@RuiMadureira, the fix that @Daniel made to the DWG pipes is now included with the latest Helix installer: Helix - Release 2.14.0 - SketchUp 2024 Support

1 Like