Tag Materials

When transferring a sketch up model to revit, how am I able to tag the materials used? I can transfer individual parts of a model and they will have a material, but I’m not able to tag them or have them show up in a schedule. We have very detailed custom elements that we would like to transfer over to revit and produce shop drawings there.

Would you be able to point me in the right direction here?

Thank you,

@Tecture - welcome to the forum!

You can map materials painted to faces as BIM objects. See example video below. The current limitation is that these materials need to be painted onto the face, not painted on the group.

If you are trying to bring in a complex nested family, this might be a different problem. If you could share a screenshot, that would help.

This helps a little bit for materiality, but the model it transfers over now is all jumbled.

1 Like

I see. Thanks for sharing the reference.

For a custom object like the one in your case, you should use the DXF or OBJ mapping. This will create family instances and also bring over the materials with textures.

In the example below I mapped an entire component (including the table and chairs) to a Revit family. In Revit this would be a monolithic family.

If you need to break down the family more, map the child components separately instead of the parent component. In the example below, notice how there are 5 family instances, and 2 family types (1 chair, 1 table)

Thank you for sending this. In my question, I was wondering if there is a way to tag the materials once an object is transferred over.

Sorry it took me this long to understand - I think I was getting caught up by the fact that SketchUp has tags which used to be called layers.

Tagging the direct shapes it dxf objects with material tags is limited in Revit. There’s this post that talks about documentation of these objects and what’s possible: Sofa from SketchUp Warehouse to Revit with Documentation

Hopefully Revit 2025 exposes this feature.