A villa in the country: from Revit to Veras

First of all, a personal thank you to @Ben Guler for solving the Veras (1.4.0.2) installation issue in combination with Revit (2019) running on Windows 7 (SP1). With this first post, I would like to describe what was achieved in Veras starting from a project created in Revit.

Once I selected the framing (seeking a balanced, vertically framed viewpoint that highlighted the transparency of the villa and its relationship with the landscape, with just a hint of the presence of the pool in the foreground)

I launched Veras with the following values:

Geometry Override: 0
Material Override: 100
Width: 2048
Height: 1152
Prompt: modern villa with glass, roof tiles, stone, column steel, pool, tall grass around the building, during spring, golden hour, forest on background
Prompt Strength: 80

and I achieved this result:

“Awesome!” I thought. “In just 10 seconds, I have a magazine photo in front of me, not just a simple rendering.” On the left, I noticed a wall completely covered in vegetation, which was not part of the original project. I thought of using the “refine” tool: I outlined the area and inputted the following values:

Prompt: stone wall
Prompt Strenght: 80

“Magnificent!” The “opus incertum” masonry style worked well for me right from the start. However, I noticed that, having replaced the wall texture, the reflection visible on the water’s surface still showed the vegetation from the previous image. So, I repeated the “refine” tool by outlining the reflection with the vegetation and inputting the following values:

Prompt: reflection of stone wall
Prompt Strenght: 80

Pleased with the beautiful result, at this point, I wanted to try changing the time of day, experimenting with the indoor lighting, and I inputted the following values:

Width: 2048
Height: 1152
Prompt: modern villa with glass, roof tiles, stone, column steel, pool, interior lights, tall grass around the building, sky night spring, microlight on the ceiling, forest on background
Prompt Strength: 80

Certainly a splendid image, even though it can’t be called a “nighttime” sky; it could be more of an “evening” or “post-sunset” sky.
At this point, I wanted to experiment with an even more ethereal atmosphere by activating the “Atmospheric” button along with the one below it “Seed”

In conclusion, I am very pleased with the results that Veras’ A.I. is able to achieve in just a few moments (the longest rendering took no more than 15 seconds), by setting so few parameters in an incredibly easy-to-use interface. The achievable photorealistic quality is absolutely amazing, and at least in my experience, I have never achieved this level of realism with a traditional rendering engine (not based on A.I.).

The next step will be to experiment with what happens inside the villa, managing lights, colors, and materials of furnishings and finishes.

2 Likes

@GMS - this is an awesome workflow post!!!

It’s interesting how you went through the different steps and made the proper corrections so that the output matches closer to the expectation. It’s very helpful to see your process, and how you are using the different features. I appreciate that you include the settings and prompts.

One note to consider, if you want to have more variance in the sky, you can change that in Revit, and Veras should be able to add more diversity there. When the sky is almost white in Revit, Veras will try to stay close to that. If you like the lighter sky (I certainly do for certain compositions), then your setup works well!

Thank you for sharing!

Thank you so much @Ben ! I immediately put your advice into practice regarding controlling the chromatic variations in the sky, acting directly in Revit (in “Graphic Display Options” dialog box) and seeing the effects in Veras. Here’s what I discovered playing with the Gradient values of Background:

Background: Gradient
Sky color: RGB 189-209-208
Horizon color: RGB 242-242-242
Ground color: RGB 165-165-165

Sky color: RGB 068-096-108
Horizon color: RGB 170-190-193

Sky color: RGB 240-155-104
Horizon color: RGB 244-205-162

Sky color: RGB 255-034-034
Horizon color: RGB 231-147-090

Sky color: Black
Horizon color: RGB 026-026-026
Ground color: RGB 029-029-029

Finally, I tried using a free background image, choosing one with trees of various colors and a blue sky with clouds (Foto di Lukas da Pexels: https://www.pexels.com/it-it/foto/luce-paesaggio-natura-cielo-627823/).

Regarding this, I noticed that Veras enhanced the brightness of the sky compared to the original image and made the colorful autumn trees consistent with the season requested in the original prompt: spring.
Veras is increasingly amazing!

2 Likes